Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chasing After Answers

I had an awful "morning-after" feeling when I read the election results today. I asked myself: How could this happen? Where is God in this muddle?

I wanted to talk to someone who might provide insight and comfort. Then I remembered many of the people close to me hold different ideas about various issues that were on the ballot. That's when I took time to pray: "Lord, help me understand."

I knelt beside my bed, opened my Bible and I prayed that the Word would shed light on our current situation. The pages fell open, and I began to read: "The book of Hosea is a tragic love story with a happy ending."

I soon learned that Hosea was called by God not only to be a messenger to His people, but also to marry an unfaithful woman. And so, Hosea married Gomer. After bearing three children to Hosea, Gomer acted unfaithfully and shattered their marriage. In the end, Hosea urged Gomer to repent and receive forgiveness and restoration. The second half of the book draws lessons from this symbolic story comparing God's people, who had turned to other gods, to Gomer who had turned to other men. Like Gomer, God's people would receive forgiveness and restoration if they would return to God.

Through its 14 chapters, the Book of Hosea brought me the comfort I was seeking. "We the People" are just as human as God's people were thousands of years ago when this book was written. We all have our own idols, call them what you will: money, status, power, work, political and social agendas, material goods, hobbies, television, sports, video games, the internet, drugs, alcohol, food, and much more. If something distracts us from spending time with God, it's an idol.

God wants a relationship with each one of us. He wants us to acknowledge: He is God and that we need His help. At times, we sink into the darkness - similar to Gomer and God's people thousands of years ago. We're here today...

To answer my earlier questions: "How could this happen? Where's God in this muddle?" I realized "We the People" are like Gomer chasing after something not meant for us. And sometimes, it is necessary to stumble in the darkness and feel hopeless.

In these difficult times, we gain an opportunity to realize: God is right beside us. He's waiting for us to call so that He can reach out, meet our needs and lead us into the light. Meanwhile, we wait patiently and obediently as Hosea did, prayerfully, urging others to return to God too.

"Let those who are wise understand these things. Let those who are discerning listen carefully. The paths of the Lord are true and right." Hosea 14:9a-c


No comments:

Post a Comment