Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What is Prayer?

Editor's Note: I shared this message in our church's August newsletter.


In Sunday School, we teach our students to say: "God made me. God loves me. God wants me close to Him." Then we ask, "How can you or I grow closer to God?" This question often leads to another:

"What is prayer?"

Our students often respond, "Prayer is 'talking' to God." It's true. God wants you and me to share with Him whatever is on our heart. We can do this aloud or silently; alone in a quiet place; or by closing our eyes while in a crowd. We can sit, kneel, stand, slouch, walk, run or even jump while talking to God. God wants to know what makes us happy, sad, worried, mad, relieved or grateful.

Then, there's the trickier part of the lesson: God also wants you and me to listen. To do so, we must quiet both our body and mind to focus on an answer. Sometimes God speaks to us through others. Other times, God speaks to us when we read His Word. Often times, God speaks directly to our heart. We recognize God when the answer is good and true. Sometimes we may need to ask a trusted grownup for help to understand God's answer.

What's best of all? Even before you or I pray, God knows what's on our heart. He has an answer ready. It may not always be what we want, but we can always trust God to give us what we need. He wants only what's best for each of us. Whatever His answer, we can be assured that it will help us grow closer to Him and learn to believe that only God can provide exactly what you and I need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment